top of page

Non-EU countries in Europe

Traveling to certain non-EU countries that are considered equivalent to the EU-countries can be almost as easy as traveling within the EU if your pet has an EU pet passport. The EU pet passport allows for simplified travel requirements and facilitates the movement of cats, dogs and ferrets across these countries.


When traveling together with your pet, non-commercial requirements for animal transportation apply. The requirements discussed on this page pertain to traveling with dogs, cats, and ferrets in European countries that are not part of the EU.

Countries Equivalent to EU countries

Andorra, the Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, and the Vatican City

When your pet has an EU pet passport, you can travel to most countries considered equivalent to EU countries with cats, dogs, and ferrets under the same conditions as traveling between EU countries.


It is not possible to travel to the Faroe Islands with a pet at all. The import of pets to the Faroe Islands is only allowed for individuals residing in the Faroe Islands. When traveling to Iceland, pets are subject to a 14-day quarantine period after entry.


Read more about general travel requirements here!

Other Europian Countries

Other European countries are considered third countries, where pets may need additionally a health certificate to travel to these countries. However, some third countries (e.g., Russia) accept the EU pet passport as an official identification document for pets. It is always advisable to check this on a country-specific basis. Outside the European Union, there is no standardized identification document equivalent to the EU pet passport. Therefore, when traveling between different countries, pets may require a new health certificate before each border crossing.


If you need further information on traveling to other European countries with your pet, we are glad to assist you!

bottom of page